Oh Hockey Day: Early Games Thread
At 3 p.m., the Pens and Flyers meet up for the first time since their epic playoff series last Spring on NBC. CBC will be showing Jets v. Sens at the same time.
Enough talking about it, time to enjoy the NHL’s return in all of its glory.
- 2 heads of fresh broccoli – florets only
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 green onions (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup toasted blanched slivered almonds (can use other nuts – pine nuts, although they are very pricey or sunflower seeds, even toasted soya beans do the trick)
- 8 – 12 slices of bacon (optional)
- 3/4 to 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sugar (prefer sugar substitute like Splenda since it dissolves better)
- 3 Tbps white vinegar (although apple cider vinegar adds a nice flavor)
- Cook bacon until crispy – crumble bacon
- Place prepared broccoli, celery, onions, grapes and bacon (optional) in a large mixing bowl
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients
- Pour dressing over broccoli mixture until well coated
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours (can leave overnight)
- Toast the almonds
- Add nuts just before serving so they don’t get soggy.