The off season has officially begun after a karmic conclusion to the Stanley Cup Finals last night (eat shit, Bruins). The compliance buyout period will begin Thursday followed by the draft on Sunday.
After the jump, let’s (roughly) project the Leafs cap situation headed into the 2013 off season.
[table “143” not found /]
* = RFA after 2013-14 season; ** = UFA after 2013-14 season
- This of course assumes neither MacArthur or Bozak are being re-signed. Also assumes fellow UFAs Ryan O’Byrne and Mike Kostka are walking as well.
- Note that there’s only 10 forwards listed there, and only 6 defencemen when the team will carry 7.
- Seems to me that using the other compliance buyout on Liles’ $3.9 million might be worthwhile, if he can’t be traded. The cap will begin to rise again in 2014-15, so why save one if we need the space now? I doubt Liles will serve as anything more than a 5th or 6th guy with Carlyle at the helm, and Franson and Gunnarsson are due up for raises on the back end. Cap space grows to nearly 12 million with Liles off the books.
- I’m not advocating for the re-signing of McLaren with Orr already signed. Nonis said he wants there to be space for some Marlies to compete, so there isn’t a whole lot of sense in it. I figured I may as well plug him in as a placeholder, cap wise.
Onto the links…
- Jonathan Bernier has been qualified and set to become an RFA on July 5.
- Dave Poulin interviews about the Bernier/Frattin deal.
- Sober Second Thoughts: Cam Charron still doesn’t like the Bernier deal. Best summed up: If we isolate the deal and weigh out a Cost-Benefit analysis, it suggests the Leafs come out ahead. From a positional need standpoint, I’m not so sure.
- Watch a man shriek as the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup. This is nothing. This is how I reacted to the Leafs winning Game 2 in the Bruins series.
- Relive the thrilling finish to the final game of the 2012-13 season. It wasn’t a 4-1 lead but it did cost them the Cup.
- What would you give up to get into the top three of this year’s draft? From VLM.
Getting the cap space back from the Armstrong and Tucker buyouts will cover a good chunk of the raises Phaneuf and Kessel will get on the cap. This whole thing is fucking overblown. It'll get done.
@Greg Fenton stop pushing your extremely ignorant opinion of Kessel and sidetracking threads if you want to keep participating.
For anyone who listened to Dave Nonis @430 on TSN radio, he talked very adamantly about the need to improve the team down the middle. Even though he mentioned re-signing Bozak as possibility, it doesn't amount to an improvement.
He said "you either trade for a centreman or get lucky." Need to target teams willing to move a current #1C or potential #1C. The way he reiterated how important having a dominant centre leading the team tells me he'd be willing to move some major pieces to fill that hole (speculate however you want).
Now, what would it take to get Matt Duchene, Joe Pavelski, or a centre from St. Louis? Otherwise trade options are non-existant...
Gunnarsson isn't getting you a #1C, so one of Gardiner, Phaneuf, Reilly, or Franson must go. Unless, Gunnarsson + Colborne + 1st for Duchene+ or Pavelski+....Just spitballin' here, but there really are few options for a necessary upgrade at C.
Dion is making $5.5 million this upcoming season. What makes people think he's going to want over $7 million a year on his new deal? That's a huge raise.
Carolina is offering their first overall pick. Here's the last fifth overall picks not including Leaf picks.
Ryan Strome, Niño Niederreiter, Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Karl Alzner, Carey Price, Blake Wheeler, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Whitney, Stanislov Chitov, Raffi Torres, Tim Connolley.
Okay, enough of talking about how much Phaneuf and Kessel suck. It's so awful having a top 10 D in the league and a top 7 scorer. Lets trade them for some prospects and be done with them.
We shouldn't be talking about re-signing Mac OR bringing in a UFA winger to replace him anymore. We pretty much have to do both, now that we have lost two wingers.
I think dion is looking for 7+ per yr. Nonis will move him for that price! wont be surprised to see him gone before training camp!
Kessel will be signed for 7.5 per year!
If Bernier wins the starting job, Riemer will be traded next summer. He will be not traded before then as it makes no sense.
I'm thinking Mac is coming back!
There is not a single Dman in the league that wouldn't get thrown under the bus by idiot fans and media playing in te role Phaneuf is in. Not even Chara, who is the best Dman in the league.
At least he's big enough that he'd probably break the bus after being thrown under it...
So the Oilers have offered Gagne a mult year deal, which the two sides have been working in for months. So much for all the Gagne-to-Toronto crap that filled the pages here yesterday.
I think we all just need to remain calm and quit shitting on Nonis until the draft. Things will start to shape up by then.
If Phaneuf and Kessel aren't locked the fuck up by October, Nonis is doing something horribly wrong.
Further to the Carolina tweet. There are financial restrictions the Hurricanes face. Need a top 4 D, but can't pay Letang-like dollars.
Doesn't the qualifying off the Leafs gave to Burnya protect them from an offer sheet? Is there still arbitration?
Shit...Philly is buying out Bryzgalov. I wonder how much of this has to do with how little we've offered Bernier. Fml. Lolll. Offersheet coming.
DamoSpin: Milos Raonic says Patrice Bergeron playing with broken rib, separated shoulder "more impressive than the entire (Stanley Cup final)."
On Tim&Sid, they asked Nonis if Phaneuf's cap hit fits with the team for next season and he said, "It depends....we'll see."
However, when asked if he expects Phaneuf in the opening night lineup, he said, "Yes". But of course, what else was he going to say?
So has anybody heard any chatter about Pavelski? UFA after coming year and SJ has Coutures contact kicking it plus Joe and Marleau to resign or let walk. Any chance leafs can pick him up?
Definitely the quote about Phaneuf and the cap coming down was a negotiation strategy.. Nonis has to start squeezing with the cap dropping.
Teams are probably expecting Leafs GM to panic and sell the house after the playoff loss. I'm glad we aren't in panic mode.
All these comments that Nonis provides makes me feel like he does lack any measure of loyalty to his players which will create a nervousness on the team at some point. If he is out there candidly saying stuff that involves players futures then he will find that there is no reverse loyalty.
Nonis on retaining Phaneuf beyond this year: "Depends where the cap goes (in 2014-15)."
with patty roy stating that they'll draft McKinnon first overall because he's ready to play right away that should mean they'll be willing to dump one of their centres. I would not be disapointed if the Leafs acquired Stastny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=281q8xVSS24
He does good work behind the net, good playmaker with some nice passing skills. When he doesn't have the puck he seems to constantly be moving around and getting himself open or setup infront of the net. His numbers have been declining over the years but so has the team's performance.
dam, this is just gonna get crazier , and more and more general managers are gonna get pissed off . fuckin nonis better get kadri and franson signed asap !!!!!!!!!!!!!! im really gettin nervous now .....