Maple Leafs Pre-Season LinesMaple Leafs Pre-Season Lines vs Philly
Expected Flyers’ lineup:
Goalies: Steve Mason, Anthony Stolarz, Cal Heeter
Defensemen: Mark Alt, Bruno Gervais, Hal Gill, Erik Gustafsson, Nicklas Grossmann, Oliver Lauridsen, Andrej Meszaros, Luke Schenn
Forwards: Brandon Alderson, Tyler Brown, Doug Clarkson, Adam Hall, Scott Hartnell, Ben Holmstrom, Scott Laughton, Tye McGinn, Matt Read, Zac Rinaldo, Brayden Schenn, Max Talbot, Nick Cousins, Rob Bordson, Marcel Noebels, Jay Rosehill
Randy Carlyle after this morning’s practice:
Just back from the Bud Gardens and my initial impressions are these:
Paul Ranger is without any doubt a top 4 dman in the NHL. Best defenseman on the ice tonight on either team He has size, he skates well and he positions himself well in taking out his man. No thunderous hits, but he plays the man tough.
The good news is Gauthier did not look out of place and has decent speed and hands. The better news is Colborne right now is bigger and faster and just as skilled. Welcome to the Maple Leafs Joe.
I have always had concerns about K. Holzer's game. Watching him tonight, I was very impressed. He is relatively mobile, big and he really played well positionally and was quite physical.
Missed the game as I golfed until we couldn't see the flag stick anymore but, if we won with the line up we put out that is a good thing! Plenty of rookies put into the game and many of them showing good promise. Hope to watch a repeat of the game but glad to hear about good games from Ranger and Levio. It looks all uphill from my perspective:)
i'd rather have Franson over Liles. I also think MacWilliam will develop into a solid stay at home defender that every team needs, the likes of which we have not had since Sylvain LeFebvre
Preseason Post Game: Leafs 4 vs. Flyers 3: http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2013/09/15/preseason-post-game-leafs-4-vs-flyers-3/…
I saw Paul Ranger with the Marlies last year, and he was their best D-man. Ranger will make people forget about Franson who is a 5 or 6 NHL defenseman.
Your first Game in 10!
1. With a few rule changes in tow, Reimer, Gibson and the rest of the team put in a solid effort to earn the 4-3. After going up 3-0, Paul Ranger got the winning goal in the 2nd period.
2. Kadri shows off that skill that we all saw in the days he was playing in the AHL. He’s rounded his game out quite nicely, and is growing into an elite player.
3. Speaking of growing their games, both youngsters Fred Gauthier and Josh Leivo put in exceptional performances, showing off each of their elite skills: Gauthier and his defensive positioning, Leivo with hands and IQ up front. Leivo looks like a young Joffrey Lupul, while Gauthier shows us what Nonis means when he says he’s a Stanley cup winning team 3rd line center.
4. Two other gentlemen who were equally surprising were Andrew MacWilliam and Paul Ranger. While Ranger showed a smooth and powerful all-round game, MacWilliam, while a little more rough around the edges, played in all situations and faired well. He probably jumped ahead of Blacker and Holzer on the depth chart in my mind.
5. A guy fighting for a roster spot is Mason Raymond, and he was doing his best Clarke MacArthur impression. While a bit more fleet of foot than Mac, he probably doesn’t have the same offensive creative as Wendel Clark MacArthur. That being said, his speed and offensive awareness did create some offensive pressure, and he built some chemistry with Joe Colborne.
6. Big Joe Colborne, who now has Gauthier nipping at his depth chart heels, showed off some improved skating, along with the prowess along the boards that we’ve come to know from him. Whether he can excel at the other parts of his game remains to be seen, but he should have the inside track for 4C.
7. It may come off as negative, but I wasn’t really impressed with Rielly Morgan..er..Morgan Rielly tonight. He looked light on defensive coverages, and was beaten in front of the net on several occaisions. He did show offensive flair, though, and simply reminds me of the development track Jake Gardiner went through. Though the AHL isn’t an option for MR, I think he’ll be best suited to start the year in junior.
8. Didn’t come away impressed with Tyler Biggs, who didn’t really show off anything special in particular. He will have to work on his speed and his shot if he’s going to make it either in a top 6 or bottom 6 role in the future. Lots of work still left for him.
9. I know he didn’t feature tonight, but I went to a few Marlies games last year, and I was extremely excited by Carter Ashton’s skills. He was very fast, very engaged, and very big. His only drawback was the offensive touch, and one might say that even though he might not have the scoring touch, he does have strong offensive awareness. In other words, he’s in the mold of Nik Kulemin.
10. Finally, I’m just going to touch on the excitement I have for this season. Adding Bolland, Clarkson, Bernier and Paul Rangers has given us upgrades to all the major areas of concern. I think those acquisitions gives us more veteran leadership and the great hometown sandpaper missing since Gary Roberts, Darcy Tucker, and Shayne Corson. I really look forward to the heights that our elite top 6, strong bottom 6, and extremely well-rounded back end can provide. Also, I’ve always been impressed by Reimer, even when re-watching games from last year. I think Bernier will have to be awfully good to beat him out. And if he does, all the better! Go Leafs Go!
@-Keon- if i actually got engaged here, my life would cease to exist. i'm more than content being a lucky bystander of all the greatness that goes on here. just a little contribution here to give back :)
@dlb eh but of course. we bathe in sin here at MLHS!
@Reversethecurse67 With MacWilliams and Ranger and Blacker all looking good in camp, and Liles looking mediocre, maybe its Fraser that becomes trade bait. Waive Liles and trade Fraser and that's over $2million in capspace. And I think there would be interest in Fraser (as opposed to Liles). I like Fraser, but he would be easier to replace than Kulimen.
@TheCanucksnaphook Thanks! Your coverage of camp was much appreciated as well :)
@ingy56 Glad you enjoyed. Just dont tell Mislav!
@Reversethecurse67 @ingy56 He's covering the KHL now so maybe you have a job!
@wendelsway1 "Umm well you know we've got a great team here, and everyone's giving a 110%. I just start my days off right with a Bon Scott wake n bake, get a Doorman fish for Lunch, after lunch Cameron gives me math lessons so i'm all primed to read and write, and when dinner comes all the Slav and Ukes here fill me up with perogies."
@Reversethecurse67 @-Keon- Quite a job for your first contribution. You should probably give just your life over to MLSE.
I think its ridiculous to talk about Gauthier only being a bottom 6 too. I dont know about the scouts but I seen a 6'5 215lbs monster who was quicker then I thought and had good hands (see on his point) and he literally still a kid at 18
@Shift_Disturber1 Yes, I see it on my Bell guide anyways.
What do you think of my yahoo fantasy team? First of many this year
@Jmessih Schenn pulled a sweet dangle off in the first and still couldn't get past Rielly. Very impressed. I thought Raymond played well but aside from the breakaway didn't stand out. Kadri is Kadri :D
@Joe89 ranger easy
@Joe89 is it a junior fantasy league? :)
@-Keon- Something about Leafs having flashbacks (3 goal lead gone)
@-Keon- Yep, right after Mirtle the Turtle's tweet.
Ranger really did look great.
Rielly has a legit shot, based on tonight's game I think he plays at least a couple regular season games.
Leivo is the guy who I think has the most upside with a chance at a job...is it too early for him? Not sure. Showed enough tonight to keep the door open.
Blacker was solid, good start!
Raymond...jury still out...some good tonight, some not so good.
Liles...not his best game by any means.
I thought Broll kept the door open a bit too, especially with the injuries.
Just the first game, nothing to get too excited about.
@B_Leaf I was most impressed with Blacker I think tonight. Not that he was the best, but I think he played a game good enough to be with the Leafs sometime this year