The Leafs dropped a 5-4 shootout decision to the arch-rival Detroit Red Wings tonight in Toronto. I missed a portion of the game due to various Christmas functions I was attending but a few things stood out from what I saw:
- Reimer got pulled after a period and 3 goals against…again. Seems a touch unfair seeing as Bernier has yet to be pulled from any of his starts this season.
- Carlyle’s insistence on using Raymond in the shootout over other options is becoming a point of frustration. Without the spin-o-rama in his arsenal I don’t know that he’s a good option in lieu of some other players on the bench.
- 24/7 will have a good time breaking this game down, with multiple lead changes, overtime and a shootout decision.
- Rielly just missed a game-winner in overtime, would have been an incredible accomplishment on home ice.
- If the roads where I live are any indication, ice quality should be good for an outdoor game.
Hopefully everyone is staying safe in southern Ontario where the roads are closer to a rink than pavement. Merry Christmas Leafs fans!