TORONTO – On Wednesday morning, the Toronto Marlies took to the ice at Ricoh Coliseum as they prepare to head to Chicago on Thursday for their 2nd round matchup against the Wolves. Here’s what you need to know:
- Spencer Abbott and Peter Holland were cleared for contact and traded their red non-contact uniforms for white ones. Abbott, who’s been out since March 31st with an upper body injury, looked great on the ice.
- Abbott and Holland were re-united with Carter Ashton to form the team’s top line
- Towards the end of practice, Steve Spott had the 5 on 3 and 5 on 4 powerplay units working. Spencer Abbott was back on the blue line on the first powerplay unit which made his partner T.J. Brennan quite happy. “It’s definitely nice to have him (Abbott) and ‘holly’ (Peter Holland) back there, two really skilled guys who are going to be big for us.” Said Brennan. “Me and ‘abber’ (Spencer Abbott) have a good connection this year, and to have him back is huge.”
- The powerplay struggled in round 1, going 3/19, but Steve Spott said he isn’t concerned. “We scored timely powerplay goals,” Said Spott. “I think you have to give Milwaukee a lot of credit, they did a nice job on us, but with Holland and Abbott coming in, I’m hoping that helps the powerplay out, but we did score timely powerplay goals so I’ll take those.”
- Steve Spott said his team needs to avoid getting into ‘track meet’ type games with Chicago, saying his team isn’t the type of team to play that style effectively.
- Before main practice began around 10:30, goaltending coach Piero Greco was on the ice with Christopher Gibson doing some work. Fabrice Herzog, Zach Yuen, Carter Verhaeghe, Frederik Gauthier and Connor Brown were on the ice taking shots. It’s unlikely that any of them draw into game action unless the injury bug strikes.
Ashton – Holland – Abbott
Leivo – McKegg – Carrick
D’Amigo – Smith – Kozun
Broll/Devane – Smithson – Ryan
Extra’s – Staubitz, Biggs, McLaren and Ross
Marshall – Brennan
Holzer – MacWilliam
Percy – Granberg
Yeo – Knodel
if carlyle stays, good news for orr and maclaren, bad news for d´amigo, holland, not to mention gardiner
@Greg Fenton I think people are just impatient to see the team taking steps to fix itself - firing Randy seems to just about everyone an obvious first step.
This is horrible. I feel like the Leafs next step will be dressing like seahorses and dancing at centre ice, like the Flint Tropics. It's bad when your team resembles a Will Ferrell film.
This is the same ownership team that fired Burke a week before the season with zero indication that changes were coming and you guys are concerned about Carlyle still employed and the NHL season hasn't even ended yet......let Shanny figure some stuff out.
Secondly, to think they would even contemplate tanking before the season even started is absolutely ludicrous.
@T K O Say no To Tank !
If Dreger's right, I'll be taking my first Leafs vacation since the 1980s. My sanity comes first. He's the worst coach I've seen since the 80s. Absolutely terrible. He'll further drive down the value of our players while getting the same shitty results.
guaranteed they'll win the first 6 games and you'll come running back. Then they'll fall apart in january. You know this will happen
@MaxwellHowe You might be right, but I did boycott the Leafs for almost seven years in the 80s because I was so mad at they way they were run. Carlyle is the first coach/GM whose brought out that anger again. It would be futile to watch this team with him as coach, and would show that the management is out to lunch.
Anyways, this organization makes me sick. I'll leave you guys with this video of a player that gives me hope. A guy that I think you win with and a guy who put up one of my favourite single seasons from a player last year since Tucker in 05-06.
@CanuckUKinToronto I doubt Shanny i stalking to Dreger but his cousin?
@CanuckUKinToronto Damn, that's dirtier than NBA reffing
@Belfour20/JB-45 Because I live in Vancouver
@LeafFan15 lots of competition and no way Gary is letting us win that lottery
@LeafFan15 I don't think were bad enough Sucks being mediocre
@LeafFan15 Leafs only have at 25% chance of getting him AT BEST.
@Greg Fenton @LeafFan15 I'm hoping they could keep the downward trend post Olympics. The funny part is Carlyle admitted that he was trying to fix the defense after the olympics modelling team Canada. The defence was worse than ever. So if that's what we get when he tries to fix things, we're in pretty good shape of losing a lot next season.
Keeping Carlyle would signal that management ha no faith in the players. Jake, Dion, Bozak, Lupul, !maybe KAdri are put on the block
Rielly , JVR, Bernier ,maybe Kessel will be the core.
The Toronto Maple Leafs appear to be standing pat with head coach Randy Carlyle for next season.
The team is holding its organizational meetings in Las Vegas this week and as TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger tweeted on Thursday, the fact that Carlyle hasn't been let go indicates he will be back to start his third full season behind the Leafs bench.
@Yan28 Utter bullshit.....all speculation with no substance.....nobody's come out and said Carlyle is staying, so TML apear to be letting him go.....see what I just did there?.......I'll wait to hear from Shanny, thanks.
@Belfour20/JB-45 You can do that with an interim sacrificial lamb coach instead of keep the coach that will keep alienating players and force trades.
Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.dallasstarshotstove.com
You using Discus AP ?
Lol. Remove Carlyle for his sake. I'm pretty sure he doesn't wanna see the fan base reaction if he stays. He's gonna get flamed.
So if only the coach is fired, do the players think" just do as we have been doing, we are untouchable, another coach will come in and take a fall" Or, do they think that with a new coach, all is well. Not sure where the axe needs to fall anymore, but what is here is not working
Yeah I don't think changing the coach will fix the problem. Got to change the players.they will jus give up on another coach in a year.
@Black_Hawk Why is it always one and not the other with people? I'm pretty sure 99% of people are advocating changing the coach and a lot of players. The first step is the coach though and that has the attention of everyone right now.
@Black_Hawk ya right a lame duck coach here
with today's social media that's entirely possible and you can count me in.
I can't get that passionate regarding coach whose only been here one full season. He can stay or he can go. I'm good either way.
@CanuckUKinToronto Any Leafs news, even if it's a rumor is better than Scabs news
@CanuckUKinToronto Carlyle had the answers but he chose to fall on the sword and say he didn't know as he wasn't willing to speak his truth and throw players under the bus in the media
The only justification for keeping Carlyle is that management is going to start all over again
In that case, the only player that is safe is Rielly, maybe Bernier.
Collapse for Connor or Eickle , Carlyle is let go when at end of contract