A pretty wild week since the draft last Friday.
A recap of MLHS posts from the draft until now, in case you missed the action:
- Petri Kontiola: Cometh the KHL, cometh the man? Jul 4, 2014
- Troy Bodie re-signed to one-year deal by the Maple Leafs Jul 3, 2014
- Mike Santorelli signed by the Maple Leafs to 1-year, $1.5 million contract Jul 3, 2014
- James Reimer Opts for Salary Arbitration Jul 3, 2014
- Petri Kontiola Signs with Maple Leafs on a 1-year, $1.1 million deal Jul 3, 2014
- Maple Leafs submit an offer to David Legwand Jul 2, 2014
- Dave Nonis on Leafs Lunch on TSN 1050 Jul 2, 2014
- Claude Loiselle on Robidas, Komarov, Polak & Frattin Jul 2, 2014
- Free Agent Frenzy: Day 1 Digest Jul 2, 2014
- Toronto Maple Leafs Updated Depth Chart Jul 1, 2014
- Dave Nonis Addresses The Media Jul 1, 2014
- Dave Nonis on Primetime Sports Jul 1, 2014
- Dave Nonis Free Agent Day Media Address Jul 1, 2014
- Leo’s Back: Maple Leafs sign Komarov to 4-year, $11.8 million contract Jul 1, 2014
- Maple Leafs sign Stephane Robidas to 3-year, $9-million deal Jul 1, 2014
- Maple Leafs re-acquire Matt Frattin for Jerry D’Amigo and a 7th round draft pick Jul 1, 2014
- Free Agency Day: Maple Leafs Targets Jul 1, 2014
- Maple Leafs’ Tim Gleason to be bought out Jun 30, 2014
- Toronto Maple Leafs Draft Notebook Jun 30, 2014
- James Reimer Requests a Trade Jun 29, 2014
- Draft Day Two Wrap Up: Gunnarsson for Polak, offensive focus to Leafs’ draftees Jun 28, 2014
- Maple Leafs select Pierre Engvall 188th overall Jun 28, 2014
- Carl Gunnarsson talks about being traded to the St. Louis Blues for Roman Polak Jun 28, 2014
- Maple Leafs select Nolan Vesey 158th overall Jun 28, 2014
- Maple Leafs select Dakota Joshua 128th overall Jun 28, 2014
- Maple Leafs select John Piccinich 103rd overall Jun 28, 2014
- Maple Leafs Trade Carl Gunnarsson, 4th round pick for Roman Polak Jun 28, 2014
- Maple Leafs select Rinat Valiev 68th overall Jun 28, 2014
- (Draft Day Two Mashup) Willie Nylie Jun 28, 2014
- Thommie Bergman talks about William Nylander – Toronto Maple Leafs Jun 27, 2014
- William Nylander Drafted 8th Overall by the Maple Leafs Jun 27, 2014
NHL News and NHL Rumours
- Pretty thorough digest of NHL news / rumours from Sportsnet
- Expect Edmonton Oilers to add centre via trade
- Murray, Sabres sitting tight for now; get calls on Tyler Myers, Tyler Ennis, Cody Hodgson and Marcus Foligno.
- More Changes coming for Sens; look to add Vinny, Legwand
- Avalanche executive Joe Sakic shifts attention to Ryan O’Reilly deal
- For those interested in Berglund’s status with STL.
- Greg Cronin gives his opinions on Grabo, Kule
@Loric76 call the cops Loric.
@TheCanucksnaphook calm down and go watch some waves
Well good luck, won't be as humid tomorrow as Thursday and Friday was. You head back home right after?
Another time, make sure you do Cabot links next time. Thus time next yr they will open their second course which is apparently going to be head and shoulders above what they have now.
@TheCanucksnaphook @JR from Halifax .........Hey Phook you never been to Cape Breton Island before.....well I will tell ya buddy you will love it friendly as hell.......born and raised in Sydney Cape Breton most of my life.Moved to Ontario almost 12 years now because the wife hated the winters back home..If you ever get the chance do the Cabot Trail lots of places to camp and visit....I am telling ya you will love it.
@TheCanucksnaphook I heard there were two trades on the table:
Bozak, Franson and a 1st to COL for O'Reilly
Lupul, Reimer, Percy to CAR for J.Staal and Cam Ward (CAR eats 2M on Ward's deal)
@TheCanucksnaphook I wouldn't cry about that deal.
@TheCanucksnaphook We best be getting more than just Kassian.
@WendelGilmour You can find it on the leafs website or there is a link below
Was Clarke MacArthur the last player to actually go to arbitration? That was 4 seasons ago. I can't think of anyone since, although I'm sure there was 1 or 2.
Filed for arbitration today.
Hope we fetch a decent return.
@TheCanucksnaphook @Cameron19 Franson is unique in that he didn't file for arbitration - basically the only RFA in his position ever. He thought he would be able to work out a deal with the Leafs, but once he decided not to file, they knew they had him, and the only bargaining tool he had was holding out. He's made to look like the bad guy a lot, but it wasn't really like that.
@TheCanucksnaphook @Cameron19 Yea, but Franson has been underpaid pretty much every year of his career (compared to his peers) except for maybe this past season - which was arguably due to injury. It's not like he's been raking it in. Rostislav Olesz brought home more money playing in the AHL than Franson has in his career.
Please go to arbitration. Please award him an assload for 1 year and then please tell me he leaves the Toilet Seats next year.
@RandomScrub The only possible scenario I could see being any worse is if he left Mtl. to go join his brother with the Bruins. Who knows, I hate both teams so much I'm not sure which would actually be worse. But picturing him sharing the ice with Lucic and Marchand would just be douchebag overload for me.
@4evrblue Hmmm, so potential double whammy for the Habs. If it goes all the way to an award, he can opt for a contract which takes him to UFA status, PLUS he'll still get a massive payday anyways. Not only that, but there'll be the increased animosity of his first hold out then this arbitration process between them when he does make it to UFA.
@Xxxxxnew Don't think this is true anymore. There IS a window in which he can't be offersheeted, but it's only a window during the process, it doesn't cover the entire period up to his award. It was covered when O'Rielly was taken to arb by the Avs.
Personally, I'd rather he not be offersheeted as Mtl will instantly match it and they get to avoid the bad blood of the arb process while retaining the player. Not to mention that the term of any offer sheet likely works in their favour as well.
@NYP_Brooksie: Brassard, Zuccarello, Kreider have filed for salary arbitration though all will continue to negotiate for long term deals. #NYR
@Xxxxxnew thats real bad news for them, they are tight with cap space
@Xxxxxnew It seems like everyone thinks that filing means the two sides hate each other or something. It's just a formality.
@Cameron19 @Jordan29 @Xxxxxnew *cough* Shea Weber *cough* Not that I don't agree. But most of the players going to arbitration are tweeners who are hoping for a little more money than they're being offered by teams looking to squeeze some savings out of their lesser lights. So they have little leverage and eventually sign a deal to avoid the nastiness of arbitration.
@Xxxxxnew From everything that has been said by players who've gone through it, I would disagree.
You get some bitchiness once in a while but it's mainly a tool to speed things up once negotiations big down.
@zakimak @Cameron19 @leafmealone @Jordan29 @Xxxxxnew I think if it's actually going to arbitration they will trade him. They've decided that Duchene is the upper limit of their team at 6M, and there's a chance O'Reilly is awarded his qualifying offer in arbitration, which is 6.5M. Think they may just move on.