Crunching Numbers: 2011-2012 Player Projections


Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images

Earlier this month, Gus projected Nikolai Kulemin as Toronto’s top scorer for the upcoming season in his 2011-2012 Maple Leaf player projections. Now it’s time for me to share my projections, but I’ll be taking a bit of a different approach. In an effort to make this as systematic as possible, I’m going to use a makeshift formula that I’ve created myself to take into account a few determining factors.

I’m going to start by placing value on a player’s last three years of production, with the more recent years worth more than the earlier years. Year 1 will make up 20% of the total, Year 2 will make up 30% of the total and Year 3 (the most recent year) will make up 50% of the total. This helps take into account a player’s improvement while also buffering for the possibility of overvaluing a career season.

If a player is 27 years of age or younger, I will assume a natural progression and increase their production by 10%.

If a player is between the ages of 28 to 32, they are likely in the peak of their career and their production will remain constant.

If a player is 33 years of age or older, I will assume a natural decline and decrease their production by 10%.

Let’s use Phil Kessel (23 years old) for example.

Year 1 (2008-2009)= 70 GP, 36 G, 24 A  x 20% = 14 GP, 7.2 G, 4.8 A

Year 2 (2009-2010)= 70 GP, 30 G, 25 A x 30% = 21 GP, 9 G, 7.5 A

Year 3 (2010-2011) = 82 GP, 32 G, 32 A x 50% = 41 GP, 16 G, 16 A

Previous Production: 76 GP, 32.2 G, 28.3 A

Applying the 10% Correction:

Projected Production: 76 GP, 35 G, 31 A

Applying the same mathematical steps, here are my player projections for the key offensive players for the 2011-2012 Maple Leaf team:

Phil Kessel: 35 goals and 31 assists for 66 points in 76 games played

Tim Connolly: 15 goals and 35 assists for 50 points in 66 games played

Mikhail Grabovski: 24 goals and 30 assists for 54 points  in 74 games played

Nikolai Kulemin: 25 goals and 25 assists for 50 points in 78 games played

Joffrey Lupul: 17 goals and 18 assists for 35 points in 51 games played

Clarke MacArthur: 21 goals and 32 assists for 53 points in 80 games played

Dion Phaneuf: 11 goals and 27 assists for 38 points in 73 games played

John Michael Liles: 7 goals and 33 assists for 40 points in 71 games played

So there it is.

A few thoughts:

Naturally the games played will significantly affect a player’s point totals and it’s very possible that this formula has taken freak injuries too much into account. Only Clarke MacAthur is projected to play 80 games while in reality 4 out of those 6 forwards played 81 games or more last season.

The numbers for Kessel, Connolly, MacArthur, Grabovski and Liles look spot on to me.

Phaneuf and Kulemin could be a little undervalued here as both players improved significantly during the course of the season and produced much better numbers in the second half.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Previous articleComparing Posterboys
Next articleTraining Camp Battles: Part 2 – Defence

Alex has been a part of the original MLHS team since way back in 2008. He has contributed to the 2009-12 Maple Leafs Annuals with a special interest in junior hockey and player development.