Everything is indeed happening. Dave Nonis has made a statement that he’s going to be transforming this team into his own this off season. Early signs are concerning. A few notes after the jump:
– The Leafs might have to move quick to sign Jonathan Bernier. As an RFA he will soon be exposed to an offer sheet and we know the crazy ass Philadelphia Flyers are interested. Let’s hope this doesn’t mean we are forced to overpay Bernier in haste. You have to add this into the equation of the deal, alongside Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin and the 2nd round draft pick – the Leafs are going to be paying more for goaltending next season under a lower cap. If you thought Frattin, Scrivens and 2nds were a waste of assets we could’ve used to address other actual problem areas, you have to factor in the cap space the Leafs just lost on the goaltending position.
– In addition to whatever Bernier signs for, add another 500k to the cap price of goaltending next season: The Leafs reportedly took on 500k in cash in this deal, which applies to the cap. It seems the Leafs took on some of both Scrivens and Frattin’s salaries.
– Definitely a factor in the acquisition: As has been mentioned, Reimer’s biggest workload as an NHL goalie is 37 games. Clearly Nonis was concerned that Reimer couldn’t stay healthy even for the full shortened season. Can’t say I think the price is worth it for what adds up to an inexperienced goalie who is a slight upgrade on Scrivens, to my eyes, but that’s got to be the thinking here.
– The second round pick in the deal is in 2014 or 2015. As of today, the Leafs still have all their picks plus a fourth rounder from the Anaheim Ducks in Sunday’s draft.
– Dave Nonis will address the media at 5 p.m.
– Presented without further comment:
“@DarrenDreger: Rumblings Phaneuf in play. Nonis says he’ll trade almost anyone, says no one called on captain…yet.”/Hearing same rumors.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) June 23, 2013
ON TO THE NEXT THREAD MLHSers
Clarkson and Stewart, two hard hitting power forwards who both hail from Toronto. I'd take that in a heartbeat.
Bernier seems excited to go to Toronto (organization and close to home). I wouldn't worry about him signing an offer sheet to play elsewhere.
Saw a tweet a while back, can't find it now, but it pointed out that the last 3 starting pitchers for the Jays were Dickey, Wang, and Johnson..... and they all play under the dome... lol
@Burtonboy another blog? wow that's like 4 or 5 today
@skiingallday Might surprise people but Berglund had more hits then Stewart
@skiingallday Clarkson we can just sign. Stewart was STL top scorer last year so he aint gonna be cheap if he's moved at all.
@skiingallday that be sweet
@Black_Hawk that's more then reimer
@Black_Hawk He I argued this the other day alone, They leafs would not have traded for him without reasonably knowing they are signing him and Paying him
@Black_Hawk He won't get that much of a raise for playing like 25 games over 2 years. At least, I hope he doesn't.
@Black_Hawk i could see 2 year 4m
@Mind Bomb afternoon
@HHT Ahha it wasn't even him.
@wiski good I want him to get done sooner rather then later b/c I want to see what he gets
@skiingallday All great pitchers when riding the high of a good old dome.