The Leafs will welcome ~seven new prospects into the organization over the course of the afternoon and evening. If it’s all they do, that’s fine by me.
Some news and rumours tidbits from the past couple of hours:
– Pierre Lebrun has dropped a Twitter bomb, quoting an NHL exec who says we’ll see 10 trades today at least.
– I bet the whole Letang to Toronto thing started with something like this – Letang’s agent Kent Hughes said, “Contact that Rossi guy and let’s drum up a rumour about Kris being discontented in Pittsburgh. Let’s say he would like to go to Toronto, that way shit will really hit the fan. We’ll get $7+ million a year.” Then they did.
– Feeling the squeeze, the Penguins then moved RFA Tyler Kennedy to the Sharks for the 50th overall pick (tweet).
– Ryan Rishaug reports the Hurricanes will likely be moving their fifth overall pick. .
– The Leafs are out of the mix for acquiring the fifth overall pick (Dreger), which is fine because the rumoured price didn’t make sense.
– The Canadiens are actively looking to move up, per Dreger.
– The Flames had talked about moving the 6th overall in a deal for Tyler Seguin but reportedly are leaning towards keeping the pick.
Jones at #4, Nickushkin at #10, Zadorov at #16, Shinkaruk at #24 are the steals of the draft so far. Especially Shinkaruk.
Zykov, Erne, Santini, Compher, Klimchuk, Bowey, Hartman, Hagg, Lehkonen, Buchnevich best available now.
Nice to see NoNo move his second up and get one of those high end potential sleepers ..French cologne guy was one.
Chances if making the NHL drop significantly when under 6 feet and 200 pounds. - The Art of Scouting
Hop on over to the Gauthier thread: http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2013/06/30/frederik-gauthier-leafs-first-round-pick/
Holland and Nonis also in a long discussion. Red Wings eager to add a defenceman as well
Okay, for those of you complaining about Gauthier, would you rather we had taken this McCarron kid? Things could be worse.
Zykov, Erne, Santini, Compher, Klimchuk, Bowey, Hartman, Theodore some of the best available at this point.
Gauthier is a versatile forward who can play either wing or center and has the potential to be a talented all-around player. Gauthier is a sizable forward at 6’5”, 214 pounds, and he is an above-average skater considering his size. He also has solid defensive instincts that allow him to play an effective two-way game.
hes now a canuck officially we now hate him ....sorry kid about your luck...you could have been in center of hockey universe instead you are in the armpit
Are people really surprised at the Leafs pick? Wasn't Gauthier like the first draft profile that MLHS put up?
canucks will grab hunter and have the best 1st round (outside maybe nashville and avs) out of anyone. of course, they gave up schneider to do it, but if they grab shinkaruk they nabbed two potential 1st liners this afternoon.
we need to sign vinny for help down the middle. as bad as it is, he's our best shot at upgrading our center position overall.
I imagine Nonis would have taken Lazar if he was still there. But I want a player with HIGH offensive ceiling. Guess we will have to hope with the second round pick.
Another team passes on Shinks
Nonis and the whole league is "retarded"...or maybe they know something eh?
Incidentally,he was one of my picks yesterday for biggest fall
i'm convinced our pick was made by the ghost of brian burke. that's a burke type pick. we should've grabbed hunter.
Gauthier plays a very good two-way game. Works hard and is very good defensively. Carlye's favorite type of player.
I hope you guys who are ripping his french are joking. hES A FUCKING CANADIAN AND THERES NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAKING FUN OF SOMEONES LANGUAGE THEN THEIR RACE. I joke all the time too but jesus piss off, hes a fucking leaf. Treat him like family now lol