The Leafs will welcome ~seven new prospects into the organization over the course of the afternoon and evening. If it’s all they do, that’s fine by me.
Some news and rumours tidbits from the past couple of hours:
– Pierre Lebrun has dropped a Twitter bomb, quoting an NHL exec who says we’ll see 10 trades today at least.
– I bet the whole Letang to Toronto thing started with something like this – Letang’s agent Kent Hughes said, “Contact that Rossi guy and let’s drum up a rumour about Kris being discontented in Pittsburgh. Let’s say he would like to go to Toronto, that way shit will really hit the fan. We’ll get $7+ million a year.” Then they did.
– Feeling the squeeze, the Penguins then moved RFA Tyler Kennedy to the Sharks for the 50th overall pick (tweet).
– Ryan Rishaug reports the Hurricanes will likely be moving their fifth overall pick. .
– The Leafs are out of the mix for acquiring the fifth overall pick (Dreger), which is fine because the rumoured price didn’t make sense.
– The Canadiens are actively looking to move up, per Dreger.
– The Flames had talked about moving the 6th overall in a deal for Tyler Seguin but reportedly are leaning towards keeping the pick.
Jones at #4, Nickushkin at #10, Zadorov at #16, Shinkaruk at #24 are the steals of the draft so far. Especially Shinkaruk.
Zykov, Erne, Santini, Compher, Klimchuk, Bowey, Hartman, Hagg, Lehkonen, Buchnevich best available now.
Nice to see NoNo move his second up and get one of those high end potential sleepers ..French cologne guy was one.
Chances if making the NHL drop significantly when under 6 feet and 200 pounds. - The Art of Scouting
Hop on over to the Gauthier thread: http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2013/06/30/frederik-gauthier-leafs-first-round-pick/
Holland and Nonis also in a long discussion. Red Wings eager to add a defenceman as well
Okay, for those of you complaining about Gauthier, would you rather we had taken this McCarron kid? Things could be worse.
Zykov, Erne, Santini, Compher, Klimchuk, Bowey, Hartman, Theodore some of the best available at this point.
Gauthier is a versatile forward who can play either wing or center and has the potential to be a talented all-around player. Gauthier is a sizable forward at 6’5”, 214 pounds, and he is an above-average skater considering his size. He also has solid defensive instincts that allow him to play an effective two-way game.
@The_Duke No kidding! Bloody hell!!!
@rockydundas I missed her who was it....does she date much older men....and I mean MUCH older
@wiski multi sport is good....Seth Jones also talented in other sports
@Yaknowwhat No. Steckel
@Area49th Liles would look good there.
@Knights2Leafs There is nothing wrong with Gauthier, I would have just preferred if we used the pick to help the team now....
@Radar O'Rielly McLaren is big and can skate well for his size too. And I sure wouldn't pick him in the first round either.
@Radar O'Rielly Im glad we got some size in the middle
@Radar O'Rielly sounds fine to me ...we naturally are suspcious because hes french but rest sounds fine
At 21st there was no one Cam. If it took Kadri 3 years to get there, then there are very few forwards from this draft that will play in the NHL next season unless because of cap issues. I sure as heck don't believe that either of Horvat or Domi are ready for primetime.
Fuck the trades. For once we have to use UFA to our advantage.