Toronto Marlies 3, Abbotsford Heat 2 – Marlies take series 4-1
The Toronto Marlies continue their playoff march towards the Calder Cup finals after disposing of the Abbotsford Heat in overtime of game 5 of the Western Conference Semi-Finals. Despite not playing a great game, it was good enough to get them the victory. Abbostford were the more desperate of the two teams and it showed”Toronto was down 2-0 during the first period and being outplayed, for the most part.
In the 2nd and 3rd period, The Marlies slowly started to chip away at Abbotsford, and ultimately, it was a game that came down to special teams. The Marlies league leading penalty kill and improving powerplay were too much to for Abbotsford to handle.
The story of the series has been, without a doubt, Ben Scrivens. He was not the goalie that everyone was speaking about coming into the series”it was the red-hot Danny Taylor”but the tables have quickly turned. Scrivens was lights out the entire series and, despite only being halfway to the Calder Cup finals, his play is going to give the big club brass a lot to think about. Ben Scrivens has the Marlies record at 7-1 and his save percentage is: .955. Simply staggering.
The Marlies will either face the Oklahoma City Barons (Edmonton Oilers), who finished 1st overall in the Western Conference and ahead of the Marlies or the San Antonio Rampage (Florida Panthers) who finished in the 6th place in the regular season, in a matchup for the Western Conference Finals.
- David Menzies is Human Garbage – I would like to see Burke challenge Menzies and Ford to a barn fight. (PPP)
- Heat—s Calder Cup playoff drive goes cold (Calgary Herald)
- Underestimated Scott gets Heat’s full attention with hat trick, extra hustle (Vancouver Sun)
- Marlies handle the Heat 11 (Toronto Sun)
- Cox: Toronto Marlies beat Abbotsford Heat, advance to AHL Western Conference final (TorStar)
- Marlies carrying Leafs flagdeep into AHL playoffs (G&M)