Next Leaf game is tomorrow versus Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres.
In the meantime, some links:
- Staff: Bob McKenzie: “William Nylander destined for the AHL” (MLHS via TSN)
You’ve got to be really cautious reading too much into what you see in the first week of preseason hockey. Hey, listen, Nylander played in the American Hockey League last year. He’s a good hockey player. We know in terms of vision, skill, a lot of those things, he’s in the top two or three in the entire Maple Leaf organization right now. That doesn’t mean you plop him in the lineup and suffer the slings and arrows of a 19 year old playing in the NHL.
- Staff: Toronto Maple Leafs announce second round of cuts: 7 cut, 46 remain (MLHS)
As for the returning Marlies: It’ll be impressive in its own right if Gauthier can be an effective shutdown center for Sheldon Keefe in his first pro season. The challenge for Keefe’s development staff will come in bringing out an offensive dimension from Gauthier. It’s his first pro season, so there’s still hope here.
- Staff: Game Review: Preseason Game #3, Toronto Maple Leafs 2 vs. Montreal Canadiens 1 (MLHS)
- Staff: Game Review: Preseason Game #2, Toronto Maple Leafs 4 vs. Ottawa Senators 1 (MLHS)
- Staff: Game Review: Preseason Game #1, Toronto Maple Leafs 4 at Ottawa Senators 3 (MLHS)
- Friedman: 30 Thoughts: The challenge NHLers face in retirement (Sportsnet)
There’s more than one NHL exec who thinks Lou Lamoriello would love to get his hands on Travis Zajac.
- Mirtle: Babcock wants the Leafs to play like the Red Wings – literally (G&M)
“Watching tapes of Detroit and how they played his system, it’s kind of hard to believe that they lost in the first round of the playoffs [to Tampa Bay],” said Mitch Marner, the Leafs top pick in 2015 and the rare young player who admits he loves to watch film breakdowns. “It’s kind of unbelievable to watch. All the systems he’s shown us – it’s really good. We’ve got to take them in now and process [the information] and do it.”
- Koshan: Young veteran Jake Gardiner ‘excited’ about future of Maple Leafs (TorSun)