Will the Maple Leafs stick at eight? Who will they pick at 8? Will they move an RFA to grab another pick or two for tomorrow? Could we see something more earth-shattering? We’ll find out over the course of the next 12 hours.
The rumours are aplenty. Jason Spezza (in an apparent acquire-and-flip scenario, past tense, according to Bob McKenzie), Milan Michalek and Martin Brodeur are some of the names getting batted around the Leafs rumour mill. It’s all likely BS typical of this time of year, but you never know.
With the sense that there is no consensus number one prospect but a fair amount of depth to the top 10-12 picks, there may be some movement up and down the order on the draft floor making this day all the more interesting.
At the very least, we know Leafs Nation will erupt in debate over the draft selection of a certain 18-year-old kid only a tiny fraction of the fanbase has seen enough to justify having an opinion on.
Let the fun begin.
Draft Day Links:
- National Post: Maple Leafs likely to stay put at #8 in the draft
- Mirtle: Trade, free agent talk overshadow NHL draft
- Siegel: Cost too high for Leafs to move up to #1
- TSN1050: Craig Button discusses the draft on Leafs Lunch
- TSN1050: Dave Bolland’s agent Anton Thun on Leafs Lunch
- Edmonton Journal: The rumour that won’t go away – Dion Phaneuf and the 8th overall pick for the Oilers’ 3rd overall pick (yuck)
- Hockey’s Future: 2014 Maple Leafs Draft Preview
- Cochrane Eagle: Raymond dangling in Leafs limbo
- Mile High Sticking: Paul Stastny won’t accept paycut from his $6.6 mill salary