Relive last night’s drama:
- Declan Kerin: Sam Carrick Signed to one-year deal (MLHS)
Carrick had a very good training camp with the Maple Leafs in September 2014, but was a victim of contract status and the numbers game with players that were no longer waiver exempt; Peter Holland was on a one-way contract and they would not have been able to keep him on the roster if they tried to send him down to the Marlies after camp, as he surely would have been claimed off waivers. On merit, Carrick should have started the season as the Toronto Maple Leafs fourth line center.
- Scott Wheeler: Leafs skills development coach Darryl Belfry part of new philosophy (PPP)
“One of the things that’s important to my own personal development is I need to work with the best players in the world to get better,” Belfry said. “The Leafs were smart enough to recognize that that’s important to my growth so that that then allows me to be better for them.”
- Kevin McGran: Kelowna Rockets manhandle Rimouski Oceanic (Toronto Star)
A mixed night for The Goat: Frederik Gauthier had one goal, one assist but was a -3 and 40% on the dot.
- Adam Vingan: Predators coach on Babcock’s big contract: ‘Great job’ (The Tennessean)
Peter Laviolette: “I think he’s proven to be one of the top coaches in the world and I guess that’s the demand sometimes of what a summer can bring.”
- Elliotte Friedman: Headlines – Coaches, coaches and Dubnyk (Sportsnet)
With the Babwatch domino having fallen, there appears to be movement within the coaching ranks involving the Sabres, Bruins and Oilers. And then there’s Devan Dubnyk.