Awesome news as we filtered into the MCC this morning: the Blue vs. White Scrimmage is on!
I got in early with a very nice welcome from Security Personnel. The security lady said to me, “seems like we never left..” excellent, I thought, she remembers me! Saw Henny and the usual cast of media personalities. I think I am fitting in.
The Blue and White took the ice with Dallas Eakins coaching the team in Blue. Great first period with Nazem Kadri making a fantastic statement by scoring three goals early. He was in the right spot at the right time but worked hard to get into those positions. Two of three goals were up over Reimer’s shoulders. Reimer did give up 5 goals today but as Coach Carlyle said in post game presser, “he saw a majority of the excellent scoring opportunities” (yes, I managed to get into the press conference post game).
During the second period, the play got more physical and I got to focus on Morgan Rielly pairing with Captain Dion Phaneuf. I know everybody is probably sick of my glowing praise for the passing/skating of Rielly but it really is that good. As one Sportsnet Reporter said to me, “his passing is outstanding and I could count the amount of passes he has missed on one hand.” During the intermission, Steve Simmons, who was standing behind me on the balcony to the media room, dropped his bottle of pepsi down near me which created a loud bang but didn’t hit me. I am pretty sure he is gunning for me at this point. Clearly sending a message.
In the third period, Leo Komarov was inserted on a line with Kulemin and Grabovski. As the MSM commented, it could be an interesting line to watch. Leo didn’t look out of place at all today and loves finishing his checks. I can’t wait to see him at full intensity level. Final score was 6-1, but we need to play 4 on 4 overtime.
Overtime solved nothing and we went to a shootout, with Kostka getting the game winner.
Quick Game Notes:
- Orr-McClement-Brown looked solid.
- Lupul-Bozak-Kessel performed as usual. Kessel sure does have speed to burn.
- Franson played well in the first two periods.
- Pairing of Phaneuf-Rielly was above average.
- Kadri should not be sent to the AHL, but will he be?
- Matt Frattin is missing.
- JVR back tomorrow after bruising his foot yesterday.
- Mark Fraser brings something extra to our lineup and would love to see him as #7.
- Kostka could also get NHL minutes. He is one of my favourites of the camp.
- Best part of day was being part of the press conference with Coach Carlyle and then getting into the Team Dressing room (pics on twitter). I did manage to listen in on the Kadri, Scrivens and Rielly interviews. Literally being at an arms length away from your favourite players makes me thankful for this opportunity. Sadly, my iPhone video didn’t turn out as I would’ve liked but what can you do, it is what it is.
There is an open practice at the ACC tomorrow starting roughly at 10am from what I understand. Get down, and enjoy your Leafers.
Thanks for following.