[quote_box_center]“Obviously, if you can control the neutral zone, you control the game. A lot of teams don’t have possession entries [into the zone]; they have to lose possession. They have to dump pucks in. On the defensive side, we worked on some concepts there. And it’s the just the start of it.”[/quote_box_center]
Some good reporting in the past few days by James Mirtle on some of the defensive tweaks underway with new assistant coach Peter Horachek, including some alterations to the defensive zone system (more of a commitment to limiting point shots) and early adjustments geared at addressing the easy concession of the blueline.
We can’t read too far into a preseason game with only a handful of regulars dressed, but we should start getting a feel for some of the differences as the week of preseason games progresses.
Tonight’s lineup vs. Philadelphia
— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) September 21, 2014
- MLHS today: Anthony Petrielli talks about moving Lupul back up to the top line
- MLHS yesterday: 10 Questions: Part 2– Will Polak and Robidas help reduce shots against?
- Siegel: Auditions underway for spot on Maple Leafs defence
- Toronto Star: Maple Leafs giving Brandon Kozun a close look in training camp
- Vintage Leaf Memories: Is there an indispensable Leaf going into the new season?
- Toronto Sun: Leafs hopeful Kozun and Gretzky go way back
- TLN: Leafs Roster Preview – Jake Gardiner