Much, if not all, of the grief he received this weekend was in good fun. Still, it seems odd how many people forget that Kessel deserves the respect of … you know, a perennial All-Star.
- James O’Brien: The hockey world’s been awfully hard on Phil Kessel (Pro Hockey Talk)
As amusing as some of this stuff is, perhaps it should also prompt a moratorium on Kessel mockery. Let’s face it, the 27-year-old’s been receiving a disproportionate amount of grief for basically his entire NHL career.
- Kevin McGran: Maple Leafs push centennial wishlist at All Star bash (Toronto Star)
The Maple Leafs, with a contingent sweet talking other teams here, are expected to bring an all-star game and outdoor game to Toronto for their centennial season in 2016-17.
- Rob Longley: Maple Leafs’ troubling situation could result in complete overhaul (Toronto Sun)
If the Leafs management group, including general manager Dave Nonis and his assistant, Kyle Dubas, opt to start from scratch and build through the draft, expect at least a five-year rebuild before the team could even hope to be a legitimate contender. Many will tell you it would be the most prudent approach, but would the Rogers and Bell board members agree?
- Not Norm Ullman: Sold A Bill of Goods — David Clarkson cannot pass (Pension Plan Puppets)
You’d think there are only so many ways to show that Clarkson is terrible right? Well, here are a bunch more.
- Sportsnet: Carey Price jokes about jersey-throwing Maple Leafs fans (Sportsnet.ca)
Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price made light of the Toronto Maple Leafs jersey-throwing epidemic that has grown into a sideshow of late.
- Mark Easson: Rumours — Maple Leafs Edition (MyNHLTradeRumours)
The Maple Leafs were not that high on Cody Franson coming out of last season. His solid first half of the season may not be enough to convince the Maple Leafs to offer him a huge deal.