The Montreal Canadiens were defeated in round two of the Eastern Conference semi-finals by the Tampa Bay Lightning.
For a team that was called elite by some, it wasn’t much of a contest and the Habs rolled over easily in Game 6, as the Lightning finished them off handily. The Canadiens looked defeated early and were stood up at the offensive blue line on their entires by the Lightning’s defenceman and hemmed in their own zone by a hungrier, more talented and more detailed Lightning squad.
The Maple Leafs‘ attention is still sharply focused on picking a new General Manager and Head Coach for the team. While it appeared a very long shot at wooing Mike Babcock to coach the Maple Leafs, they now look to be among the favourites, along with the heavily favoured Buffalo Sabres, who appear to be in the lead for his services.
As far as the position of General Manager, the Maple Leafs look to be in a holding pattern until they are granted permission to speak with the Assistant General Manager of the New York Rangers, Jeff Gorton. New York Rangers General Manager Glen Slather has denied permission to other clubs to speak with Gorton until they are officially eliminated from the playoffs or win the Stanley Cup.
Leafs to pick 23rd or 24th
With last night’s results, the Maple Leafs second pick in the first round is now going to be the 23rd or 24th pick.
Previous 24th overall in NHL Drafts
Previous 23rd overall in NHL Drafts
- Legace: Manny Legace: “I think Babcock ends up in Toronto” MLHS via TSN
- Demers: I think Babcock’s coming to Toronto – MLHS via Sportsnet
- Tran: Daniel Sprong Scouting Report – MLHS
- Tran: Brandon Carlo Scouting Report – MLHS
- Panaccio: How can Hextall convince Babcock Flyers are best choice? – CSN Philly
- Lebrun: Oilers spoke to Wings about Mike Babcock, but didn’t ask for permission to speak – ESPN
- Dreger: Oilers have spoken to Pete Deboer – TSN
- Wheeler: A diamond in the rough – Barzal profile – PPP
- Jones: Some believe that Oilers are in process of making Todd McLellan Coach – Edmonton Sun