The Leafs got lit up for six goals by a poor offensive team again last night, one of a few frustrating themes of their 2014-15 season so far. Conceding six to Florida comes on the heels of high-scoring losses to the Flyers, Hurricanes, Devils, and the Predators and Sabres back in November.
And it’s not particularly surprising when you consider the Leafs haven’t outplayed anybody in quite some time. The Leafs dance on a knife’s edge and they’re always one average – not even bad – night from their goaltender away from giving up a whack of goals to any team in the League.
Leafs possession game is trending in the wrong direction. Play is starting to reek of 2013. pic.twitter.com/HtwMHD1Rcy
— Dom Jr. Galamini (@MimicoHero) December 29, 2014
The Leafs‘ unraveling defensive game will look to rebound tonight against beasts of the East, the Tampa Bay Lightning, who are boasting great scoring depth this season. Tough back to back against a rested opponent.
On that cheery note, onto the links.
- Anthony Petrielli: Leafs Notebook — Winning 20 games before the official NHL Winter Break is a little misleading + notes, quotes, 5 Things (MLHS)
- Ian Dudgeon: Maple Leafs End of 2014 Prospect Rankings with Player by Player scouting reports (MLHS)
- Evan Dorey: Panthers 6 vs. Leafs 4 Scoring Chances — some interesting findings in the scoring chance data (MLHS)
- Game Highlights: Maple Leafs vs. Panthers Game in 12 Minutes (MLHS)
- Jonas Siegel: The Maple Leafs need great goaltending to win most nights. They didn’t get it in Florida (TSN)
- Jonas Siegel: Jonathan Bernier travels to Tampa Bay, unclear if he’s fit enough to play tonight (Twitter)
- James Mirtle: Blackhawks the best bet to win Cup, rising/falling, is East still the least? (Globe and Mail)
- Arden Zwelling: Don’t Look Back — Jonathan Bernier’s hockey story (Sportsnet)
- Benjamin Zwelman: Maple Leafs hope to bounce back vs. Lightning (NHL.com)
- Jeff Veillette: Marlies sweep three-in-three weekend (The Leafs Nation)